Can you change the domain identifier?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Can you change the domain identifier?

AndrewH
Can you change the domain identifier?  I have a feeling that you cannot since you use that to register clients.

We need to change the external IP address of our wikid server.  We also need to upgrade to the latest wikid and java versions.  Should we spin up a new instance of the wikid server (latest versions/new external IP/new domain identifier) and have everyone re-register with the new domain identifier?  Would that be a good migration plan?

Thanks
-Andrew
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can you change the domain identifier?

Nick Owen
Administrator

You can do that or we can create a DNS entry in wikidsystems.net that will point your existing tokens to the new IP address.

If you want the latter, just email us the new IP when you're ready.

On Sep 22, 2015 6:56 PM, "AndrewH [via WiKID Strong Authentication Forums]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can you change the domain identifier?  I have a feeling that you cannot since you use that to register clients.

We need to change the external IP address of our wikid server.  We also need to upgrade to the latest wikid and java versions.  Should we spin up a new instance of the wikid server (latest versions/new external IP/new domain identifier) and have everyone re-register with the new domain identifier?  Would that be a good migration plan?

Thanks
-Andrew


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://wikid-strong-authentication-forums.1491522.n2.nabble.com/Can-you-change-the-domain-identifier-tp7575176.html
To start a new topic under Support, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from WiKID Strong Authentication Forums, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can you change the domain identifier?

AndrewH
I completely forgot about that.  That would be easier, now that I think about it we would have to do quite a bit internally to deal with multiple radius server setups.

Follow on question:
We currently have the ISO installed that is Centos 5.5.  What is the best way to upgrade the OS/wikid/java while keeping all of our users/configs?  Is there a backup/restore method?

Thanks
-Andrew
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can you change the domain identifier?

Nick Owen
Administrator
If you want to upgrade to 6.x, then you can do a pg_dumpall to get the
users' and all the other info out of the db.  you may want to clean up
the db before you do this:
https://www.wikidsystems.com/support/wikid-support-center/troubleshooting-faq/howe-can-i-improve-performance-by-cleaning-up-the-database.

Then, export.  On the existing server:

export the data with postgres running:

# su - postgres
$ pg_dumpall  > wikid.backup

On the new server:

start  the db:
# service postgresql start
# su - postgres
drop the existing db:
$ dropdb 'wikid'

import the old one:
$ psql -f wikid.backup

If you are in replication, add '-p 5434' to the postgres commands.

Note that the latest version requires java 8:
https://www.wikidsystems.com/support/wikid-support-center/faq/how-can-i-install-oracle-jdk-8-from-the-command-line.

A number of customers have done this.   It's nice because you can keep
the db running on the old server, test the move and then re-do it when
you are ready for a bit of downtime.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 7:12 PM, AndrewH [via WiKID Strong
Authentication Forums] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I completely forgot about that.  That would be easier, now that I think
> about it we would have to do quite a bit internally to deal with multiple
> radius server setups.
>
> Follow on question:
> We currently have the ISO installed that is Centos 5.5.  What is the best
> way to upgrade the OS/wikid/java while keeping all of our users/configs?  Is
> there a backup/restore method?
>
> Thanks
> -Andrew
>
>
> ________________________________
> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion
> below:
> http://wikid-strong-authentication-forums.1491522.n2.nabble.com/Can-you-change-the-domain-identifier-tp7575176p7575178.html
> To start a new topic under Support, email
> [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from WiKID Strong Authentication Forums, click here.
> NAML



--
Nick Owen  --  WiKID Systems, Inc.
http://www.wikidsystems.com
Commercial/Open Source Two-Factor Authentication
http://twitter.com/wikidsystems | #wikid on freenode.net
Get our low-volume newsletter - Notices, updates : http://eepurl.com/zzUeP